612-873-2229, or 612-873-BABY
Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) plays a leading role in patient care and satisfaction. HCMC has on-call staff doulas for both midwife and labor and delivery patients. Doulas are available to provide emotional support and physical comfort. Doula services are free of charge to the patient.
What qualifications do doulas have?
Doulas are professionally trained in childbirth. She provides information, emotional and physical support to the expectant mother throughout the birthing process. She also facilitates communication among the laboring woman, her partner and the health care providers. A doula does not provide any type of medical care.
Studies have shown that having a doula present at birth:
- Tends to result in shorter labor;
- Reduces the need for a labor-inducing drug;
- Reduces the need for the use of forceps or vacuum extraction;
- Decreases the likelihood of having a cesarean birth;
- Reduces the mother’s request for pain medicines and/or epidurals.
Doulas on staff speak English, Spanish, Somali and French.
How can I arrange for a doula?
Tell your health care provider you wish to have a doula or call Hennepin’s Doula Service at: