Hennepin County Medical Center was the first hospital in Minnesota to be verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level I Adult Trauma Center for adults and pediatric patients. Our surgeons are board certified, and many have completed specialty fellowships in their area of surgical specialty.
HCMC surgeons perform more than 10,000 surgeries each year. While more than one-third of the surgical patients are considered "major" in severity of illness according to University Health Consortium data, HCMC surgeons also provide a full range of elective surgical care and have expertise in the latest minimally invasive techniques.
HCMC Surgery consults are available at the medical center downtown in the Parkside Multispecialty Clinic and Surgery Clinic, as well as in the community at the Brooklyn Center and Whittier clinics. Minor procedures can be performed on site.
The Operating Room has 17 suites capable of providing service to a variety of surgical specialties.
The 24-bed surgical/trauma/neuroscience intensive care unit is located in the Red Building, Level 7. This unit provides care for patients who are critically ill and require constant attention by our team. Features include:
- private patient rooms with natural light, soothing colors and woodwork, comfortable seating for families, and storage for patients’ and family members; belongings
- specialized equipment including continuous dialysis machines, oscillating ventilators, and other equipment to serve trauma, burns, traumatic brain injuries, and other diagnoses.
The 44-bed surgical/trauma/neuroscience intermediate care unit is located in the Red Building, Level 4. This unit provides care to patients who are critically ill but do not require intensive care.
The 37-bed medical/surgical/orthopaedics unit is located in the Green Building, Level 3. It serves medical and surgical patients, with an emphasis on orthopedics and hospitalist services.
The surgeons at Hennepin perform general and specialty surgery, including:
- Acute, Critical, and Trauma surgery
- Cancer Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Chronic Wound Care
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Ear, Nose, and Throat Surgery
- Eye Surgery
- Foot Surgery
- Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Gynecologic Surgery
- Obesity Surgery
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Plastic, Burn, and Reconstructive surgery
- Renal transplantation and vascular access surgery
- Urological surgery