The physical rehabilitation doctor (physiatrist) completes a pre-admission screen to help determine when it is appropriate to recommend inpatient rehabilitation. A patient must meet the following criteria prior to being admitted to the Knapp Rehabilitation Center program:
- There is reasonable expectation the patient with a viable discharge plan will benefit from therapy and supervision or assistance.
- A patient needs an intensive program with multiple services.
- If brain injured, the patient demonstrates cognitive functioning at Rancho Los Amigos Level IV or above.
- The patient must be able to physically tolerate program activity including three hours of therapy per day.
- The patient has the capability of participating cognitively and behaviorally in a program.
- If patient has a spinal cord injury, it should be equil to or distal to C7.
- The patient has inability or decreased ability in at least two areas listed below:
- complete activities of daily living
- move self from place to place
- manage elimination needs
- communicate or understand information
- cognitively process information, memory, and reasoning
There are various groups that the Knapp Rehabilitation Center is equipped to treat. The patient population range from adolescents to older adults. However, before the pre-admission screen takes place, it will be determined if the patient meets the diagnostic description for admission to the Knapp Rehabilitation Center. Individuals with the following conditions would be eligible for the pre-admission screening:
Traumatic Brain Injury
Non-Traumatic Brain Injury
Cardiopulmonary or metabolic deconditioning
Spinal cord injury
Arthroplasty with complicating conditions
Connective tissue disorders
Payors accepted include, but are not limited to:
- Medical Assistance or Medical Assistance Pending
- Blue Cross or Blue Plus
- Preferred One
- Metropolitan Health Plan
- Private Pay