Medication Therapy Management
Include a pharmacist in your comprehensive care team!
At Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC), we offer a service provided by qualified pharmacists designed to help you better understand your medications and reach your health goals. Through this service, you will meet privately with the pharmacist in a clinic setting (not at the pharmacy), where they will review all of your medications with you. Medication Therapy Management (MTM) providers work closely with your doctors and other healthcare providers to make sure your medicines are safe, effective, and providing the best results.
|Podcast: Ask the Pharmacist |
Laurie Willhite, PharmD, CSPI and Erika Ridl, PharmD
Maha Ali, MTM Support Analyst: 612-873-2195
What should I expect at a MTM visit?
The MTM pharmacist can:
- Review all of your medications and provide education on how to best use them
- Answer any questions you may have regarding your medications, including non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal remedies
- Ex. proper dosage, interactions, side effects, new therapies
- Make sure your prescriptions do not interact with any other medications, including over-the-counters
- Advise on cost-saving alternatives
- Provide guidance on how to simplify a medication schedule
- Work closely with your healthcare team to ensure your health goals are met
Benefits of participating in medication therapy management include:
- Better management of health conditions including diabetes, asthma, COPD, high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, smoking cessation, and other conditions.
- Identification of any medicines you may not need to take or less expensive alternatives, which can lower your healthcare costs.
- Identification of medications you should be taking, recommendations
- Fewer trips to the ED/Urgent Care because your health conditions are more controlled
Working with your MTM pharmacist can help you feel better, be healthier, and get the results you expect from your medicines.
For more information, please contact the MTM Support Analyst at 612-873-2195, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Medication Therapy Management visits are available in-home and other locations by physician referral only.