Family Medicine Residency: Application Requirements
Applications Due November 1
- Graduation from medical school within the last five years
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE or COMPLEX transcript
- Personal statement
Information for International Graduates
International graduates must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, possess a valid EAD authorization for permanent residence, or be eligible for a J1 visa through the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). HCMC does not sponsor H visas.
International graduates must meet the following requirements with no exceptions:
- Have a valid ECFMG certificate.
- Graduation from medical school within the last five years.
- Have at least six months’ clinical experience in a U.S academic teaching center or clinical practice with Board certified physicians , at least one of whom should be a family physician.
- Observerships, clerkships, and externships are considered clinical experience. Research does not qualify as clinical experience.
- Submit three letters of recommendation from your U.S. clinical experiences.
- Submission: Submit your application through the Electronic Resident Application System (ERAS). Contact your medical school’s student affairs or dean’s office for instructions. We do not accept applications through the mail. HCMC participates in the National Resident Match Program (NRMP).
- Scoring: Our program requires first time pass on the USMLE steps 1, 2, and CS. We give preference to graduates with a minimum score of 210. Applicants must also demonstrate the ability to complete USMLE Step 3 within seven years of passing the first USMLE examination.
- Interviews: Selected applicants will be invited for interviews. We hold interviews from October through December.