Family Medicine Residency: Application Requirements
Applications Due November 1
We welcome applicants interested in practicing in Minnesota after graduation.
- Graduation from medical school within the last five years
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE or COMPLEX transcript
- Personal statement
Information for International Graduates
International graduates must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, possess a valid EAD authorization for permanent residence, or be eligible for a J1 visa through the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). HCMC does not sponsor H visas.
International graduates must meet the following requirements with no exceptions:
- Have a valid ECFMG certificate.
- Graduation from medical school within the last five years.
- Have at least six months’ clinical experience in a U.S academic teaching center or clinical practice with Board certified physicians , at least one of whom should be a family physician.
- Observerships, clerkships, and externships are considered clinical experience. Research does not qualify as clinical experience.
- Submit three letters of recommendation from your U.S. clinical experiences.
- Submission: Submit your application through the Electronic Resident Application System (ERAS). Contact your medical school’s student affairs or dean’s office for instructions. We do not accept applications through the mail. HCMC participates in the National Resident Match Program (NRMP).
- Scoring: Our program prefers first time pass on the USMLE steps 1, 2, and requires first pass on CS. We give preference to graduates with a minimum score of 215. Preference is given to applicants who have passed USMLE step 3.
- Interviews: Selected applicants will be invited for interviews. We hold interviews from October through December.