Family Medicine Residency: Application Requirements
Applications Due November 15
We welcome applicants interested in practicing in Minnesota after graduation.
- Submission through ERAS and the NRMP (no exceptions)
- USMLE or COMLEX transcript
- Three or four letters of recommendation from physicians familiar with the applicant's clinical knowledge and skills. At least one must be a US clinical supervisor.
- Official transcript from all medical schools attended
- Personal Statement including the applicant's major reason for choosing Family Medicine as a career, what the applicant is looking for in a training program, and a description of his or her career goals
- Curriculum Vitae
- MSPE/Dean's Letter
- Eligibility for licensure in Minnesota
- This requires passage of all components of the USMLE within a seven-year time span, from first attempt of USMLE through successful completion of Step 3.
- Meet the following USMLE or COMLEX exam requirements:
- Our program prefers first time pass on the USMLE steps 1, 2, and requires first pass on CS. We give preference to graduates with a minimum score of 220.
- International medical graduates must submit passing Step 1, Step 2, CS and Step 2 CK scores before their applications will be considered.
- USMLE Step 2 or COMLEX Level 2 exam results are not required for current medical students, but preferred for interview selection. Please submit scores as soon as they are available to be considered for ranking by the rank list due date (mid-January for AOA Match and mid-February for NRMP Match candidates).
- Graduate of medical school 2012 or later and have patient care experience within five years of application. Medical schools must appear in one of the following directories:
- US clinical experience (minimum of six months)
- ECFMG certification for international medical graduates
- Citizenship, permanent residency, or ability to obtain a J-1 visa.
- Excellent written and spoken English language communication skills
- Qualified to begin work by mid-June 2017.
- We will consider couples match applicants
- Eligible applicants will be contacted to schedule interviews starting in October on a rolling basis as applications are reviewed. However, due to the high level of interest in our program, we are not able to interview all applicants.
- Interview days are Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- Interviews are required for admission to our program.
- We plan your interview experience so that you will have the opportunity to meet the program director and other faculty, several levels of residents, and also have an opportunity to tour the community, hospital, and our clinic.
- We encourage you to arrive the day before your scheduled interview as you will be invited to join several residents for a meal and a tour of the community. On the formal interview day, you can expect to be engaged from 7:30AM – 3PM.
- You are welcome to bring your spouse or significant other. Please inform our residency coordinator if you plan to do so.