Family Medicine Residency
Training family physicians for urban, rural, and global practice
About Our Program
Established in 1969, the Family Medicine Residency at HCMC remains at the forefront of primary care. Residents gain immediate, hands-on experience working with a diverse patient population at our state-of-the art Whittier Clinic , a LEED-certified building that opened in 2010. Every day, residents use the latest technology, and learn from staff and specialists who are dedicated to teaching. Our program features opportunities in holistic and integrative medicine, women’s health, sports medicine, geriatrics, and international health, all under the guidance of expert faculty.
We emphasize resident leadership and a multidisciplinary approach that builds strong, collegial relationships at all levels. Our graduates develop clinical expertise, effective communication, leadership skills, and practical management techniques. Many pursue fellowships or accept teaching faculty positions across the country.
What Sets Us Apart
- Diverse patient experience. As the region’s urban and "safety net" healthcare system, HCMC residents can care for patients from around the world without ever leaving the city. Family Medicine residents treat a cross-cultural population with a wide variety of illnesses and issues, from diabetes and sports injuries to obstetrics and tropical infections. In addition, the Family Medicine service handles more than 600 deliveries each year and trains in group model prenatal care.
- Collegial, multidisciplinary environment. By training in a true teaching hospital that supports 14 residency and fellowship programs, our residents work and learn within Family Medicine, and also function as interns for cardiology, pediatrics, surgery, and other specialties. Every resident bears significant responsibility for patient care; daily collaboration with fellows, faculty, specialists, and medical students is critical in meeting this responsibility. As an academic system, teaching and research are priorities for all attending physicians.
- Strong inpatient and outpatient training. Our residents develop comprehensive skills for practice in all settings. Inpatient rotations at HCMC develop family physicians who possess essential skills to manage their hospitalized patients and help them transition to ambulatory settings. In the outpatient setting, residents focus on quality initiatives as they provide continuous, comprehensive, coordinated care at Whittier Clinic.
- Holistic approach. Our Integrative Medicine curriculum focuses treatment on the whole patient and demonstrates how to incorporate holistic concepts into regular practice. The Whittier Clinic includes onsite acupuncture and chiropractic care. Three faculty are Board-certified in Integrative and Holistic Medicine and we offer residents a certification in Integrative Medicine.
- Advanced technology. HCMC operates a paperless environment, with Epic integrated electronic health records available in all locations. Whittier Clinic features the latest equipment onsite, with access to additional services at the main HCMC campus. All residents train for real-life scenarios in our interdisciplinary simulation and education center.
About Our Facility
The Whittier Clinic serves as the main site for Family Medicine residents. This community-centered clinic is located at Nicollet Avenue and 28th Street in the Whittier-Lyndale neighborhood of Minneapolis. This vibrant, diverse community features Minneapolis’ famous "Eat Street" with 13 blocks of international restaurants.
Whittier Clinic provides immediate, onsite access to everything from x-ray, ultrasound, and laboratory services to a dedicated support staff of social workers, physical therapists, interpreters, and other professionals. This high-tech facility enables us to deliver outstanding preventive and primary care, and perform many outpatient surgical procedures, all within the Minneapolis neighborhood we serve.
Whittier Clinic Facts
- Facility opened October 2010.
- Over 60,000 patient visits each year.
- Onsite x-ray, ultrasound, laboratory, and pharmacy services.
- Dedicated support staff of social workers, psychologist, family therapist, interpreters, financial counselors, physical therapists, and diabetes educators.
- Wellness clinic offers holistic medicine, acupuncture, and chiropractic care.
- Electronic Health Records and fully integrated Epic system.
- Building is LEED-certified in environmental design.
- One of five primary care clinics operated within the HCMC system — and home of the HCMC Family Medicine residency.
- Free, heated underground parking for staff.
Family Medicine residents also rotate at the main HCMC campus, which spans five city blocks in downtown Minneapolis. The main campus houses in-patient and ambulatory services, our Level I Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center, the region’s highest volume Emergency Department, and numerous specialty clinics.
Learn more about Family Medicine at HCMC
Integrative Medicine: HCMC’s integrative medicine curriculum prepares Family Medicine residents to practice basic integrative medicine, continue lifelong learning, and become integrative medicine leaders in their healthcare practices.
CenteringPregnancy: The Family Medicine residency incorporates the multifaceted CenteringPregnancy model for group prenatal care, the only intervention that has successfully lowered pre-term birth rates.
Interdisciplinary Simulation and Education Center: HCMC’s latest teaching resource features a state-of-the-art environment for healthcare professionals to practice real-life medical situations and procedures.
Hennepin County Medical Center
The Family Medicine Residency at HCMC is ACGME accredited.