Surgery Residency: Didactics
Departmental Conferences and Simulation Center Training
About Our Educational Experience
HCMC’s Surgery Residency requires all residents to attend our mandatory departmental conference each Tuesday. Surgical residents can also participate in a variety of optional, hospital-wide conferences on topics ranging from ethics to critical care.
Our program takes full advantage of HCMC’s state-of-the-art Interdisciplinary Simulation and Education Center to help residents prepare for real-life surgical situations and SICU leadership.
Required Weekly Conference
- Every Tuesday
- Morbidity and mortality discussion
- Topical and science-based lectures
- Hands-on simulation training in HCMC’s Interdisciplinary Simulation and Education Center
Optional Departmental Conferences
- Every Wednesday, noon
- Topics rotate weekly
- 1st Wednesday: SICU
- 2nd Wednesday: American Board of Surgery In-Training Exam (ABSITE) review
- 3rd Wednesday: Journal club
- 4th Wednesday: Gastrointestinal and oncology
- 5th Wednesday: Professional development
- First Wednesday of the month, 1 p.m.
- Critical care (STAB) conference featuring review and discussion of selected critical cases from the previous week
- Medicine grand rounds
- Pediatrics grand rounds
Optional Hospital Conferences