Matthew Prekker, MD, MPH
Pulmonary and Critical Care
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
"I believe in open and honest communication around both acute health emergencies or chronic disease management. The patient's values and priorities must stay at the forefront of what we do."
Through specialization in both Emergency Medicine and Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, Dr. Prekker provides acute care for patients in the Emergency Department and Medical ICU as well as maintaining a practice as a pulmonary consultant and clinic physician. He has special expertise in resuscitation from critical illness, including airway management, mechanical ventilation, and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
- Board Certified in Emergency Medicine
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- Board Certified in Pulmonary Medicine
- Board Certified in Critical Care Medicine
- Best Resident Core Content Lecture, Emergency Medicine 2014-15
- American College of Chest Physicians
- Society for Critical Care Medicine
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- American Thoracic Society
- Prekker ME, Delgado F, Shin J, Kwok H, Johnson NJ, Carlbom D, Grabinsky A, Brogan TV, King MA, Rea TD. Pediatric intubation by paramedics in a large emergency medical services system: process, challenges, and outcomes. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2015 (in press).
- Prekker ME, Gary BM, Patel R, Olives T, Driver B, Dunlop SJ, Miner JR, Gordon S, Schut R, Gray RO. A comparison of routine, opt-out HIV screening with the expected yield from physician-directed HIV testing in the emergency department. American Journal of Emergency Medicine 2015;33(4):506-511.
- Prekker ME, Kwok H, Shin J, Carlbom D, Grabinsky A, Rea TD. The process of prehospital airway management: Challenges and solutions during paramedic endotracheal intubation. Critical Care Medicine 2014;42(6):1372-1378.
- Prekker ME, Feemster LC, Hough CL, Carlbom D, Crothers K, Au DH, Rea TD, Seymour CW. The epidemiology and outcome of prehospital respiratory distress. Academic Emergency Medicine 2014;21(5):543-550.
- Prekker ME, Scott NL, Hart D, Sprenkle MD, Leatherman JW. Point-of-care ultrasound to estimate central venous pressure: a comparison of three techniques. Critical Care Medicine 2013;41(3):833- 841.
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Pulmonary and Critical Care, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA