Mengistu A. Simegn, MD
Commitment to Patient-Centered Care
"My practice philosophy revolves around fostering team work through provision of in-depth information, counseling and guidance, timely communication and education on clinical status, progress, prognosis and process of care in order to help my patients make their own decisions and facilitate their autonomy on their heart and related problems and support these and other decisions with at most flexibility throughout their care. I am a very proud and happy member of the HCMC Cardiology department which is an evidence-based and highly academic team with very high standards. My core team consists of well trained and caring registered nurses and physician assistants."
Dr. Simegn has sizable experience in the management of acutely sick patients with heart attack, heart failure, valvular heart disease and rhythm problems requiring intensive care and coronary care. He is the director of the Cardio-Renal clinic and is involved in the assessment and management of prospective patients being evaluated for potential renal transplant. He is an advanced cardiovascular imaging specialist who performs and reads Echocardiography, Transesophageal Echocardiography, Nuclear Cardiology and Cardiac CT. He is involved in the training of prospective cardiologists in the HCMC/Abbott Cardiovascular Fellowship program. He is one of the HCMC site Co-Principal Investigators for the NIH funded ISCHEMIA-CKD trial.
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Board Certified in Cardiovascular Medicine
- Board Certified in Echocardiography
- Board Certified in Nuclear Cardiology
- Board Certified in Cardiac
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Minnesota
- Distinguished Teacher Award, Hennepin County Medical Center/Abbott Northwestern Hospital Fellowship Training Program in Cardiovascular Disease 2013-2014
- Teacher of the Year University of Minnesota Fellowship Training Program in Cardiovascular Disease 2010-2011
- Distinguished Staff Teaching Award, Hennepin County Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine 2011-2012
- Outstanding Fellow of the Year, Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center, 2009-2010
- Morris Davidman Resident Teaching Award, Hennepin County Medical Center, 2006-2007
- American College of Cardiology
- American Society of Echocardiography
- Society of Cardiovascular MRI
- Aby ES, Rosol Z, Simegn MA. Mitral Valve Perforation in Libman-Sacks Endocarditis: A Heart-Wrenching Case of Lupus. J Gen Intern Med. 2016 Mar 14. [Epub ahead of print].
- Kalra A, Simegn MA, Bart BA. Inpatient Cardiology Consultation Service: Transitioning Fellows-in-Training to Independent Cardiovascular Consultants. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66(7):867-870.
- Simegn M, Kottam A, Afonso L. The Assessment of Prosthetic Valve Function. In: Abraham TP, ed. Case Based Echocardiography.London, England:Springer;2011:235-249.
- Alfonso L, Kondur A, Simegn M, Niraj A, Hari P, Kaur R, Ramappa P, Pradhan J, Bhandare D, Williams KA, Zalawadiya S, Pinheiro A, Abraham TP. Two-dimensional strain profiles in patients with physiological and pathological hypertrophy and preserved left ventricular systolic function: a comparative analyses. BMJ Open. 2012;2(4):1-8.
- Stendahl JC, Hasan AS, Simegn MA. Massive interventricular septal aneurysm and stroke in a healthy young patient: Guilt by association? J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014;23(3):590-591.
"I am married and a father of two boys. I enjoy traveling with my family, movies and playing and watching soccer. I speak Amharic, a language spoken only in Ethiopia."
Internal Medicine, Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Internal Medicine, Addis Adaba University, Addis Adaba, Ethiopia,
Cardiovascular Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA