ED PEER Program
Emergency Department Patient Experience & Enrichment Program
What is the ED PEER Volunteer Program?
The ED PEER Program is a progressive approach to improve the relationship between caregivers and patients. The ED PEER Program allows individuals to use their skills, experience and training to assist the HCMC Emergency Department in a variety of assignments and projects that are of importance to our patients. In the face of growing demands for service, the assistance of our ED PEER members is a vital component of the patient experience. The ED PEER position is a personally rewarding and valuable experience for participants.
The ED PEER Program Position
As an ED PEER Program member, you will be assigned to work in any area of the department where your training skills will be beneficial to the organization. There are four roles in our department including:
- Team Center Volunteer - Round on patients, answer call lights, assist ED personnel in maintaining an efficient and welcoming environment
- Triage Volunteer - Assist triage nurses with waiting room control and placing patients in their rooms
- MyChart Volunteer - Interact with patients and assist them in signing up for MyChart to monitor their own health status
- Stab Room Recorder - Record events as they happen in our stabilization room to assist our staff (experienced volunteers only)
- Other potential leadership opportunities within the ED PEER program
Why should you choose the ED PEER Program?
In comparison to other hospital Emergency Department volunteer programs in the Twin Cities, the ED PEER program offers a more inclusive immersion into the environment of an Emergency Department. Hennepin County Medical Center is Minnesota’s premier Level 1 Trauma Center and had 102,211 Emergency Services visits in 2009. The ED PEER program will encompass approximately 200 volunteers who will work in different areas throughout the Emergency Department. Program participants will meet with staff members at shift change and be assigned to one of five areas in the department for their shift on a given day. Participants will work closely with staff, patients and other volunteers in the Emergency Department. The ED PEER program allows volunteers the flexibility to schedule their own shifts and not conform to a recurring, weekly shift. The program will work closely with the RA program and the Volunteer Program of the hospital.
ED PEER Program members will be required to work 4 hours per week, have the opportunity to attend enrichment seminars, maintain a work schedule online, stay current on mandatory training, and provide your uniform (minimal $10.00 fee for hospital required polo shirt).
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- 18 years of age at time of application
- No felony convictions. Must successfully pass a background investigation.
- A health screening must be completed and sent in with your application.
The selection process shall consist of an application, two letters of reference and a background check. Informational sessions with the ED PEER coordinators will follow. The program will be explained in detail and the applicant will have the chance to decide whether to participate in the PEER program. If it is determined the applicant is not a good fit for the PEER program, they will have the opportunity to transfer into the general hospital volunteer program.
Newly appointed ED PEER Program members will be required to attend an ED PEER orientation scheduled by the Program Coordinator. They will also complete a shadow shift with an experienced ED PEER member.
The ED PEER program is operated on a term-by-term basis. We are no longer accepting applications for the Fall 2013 term. Applications are currently being accepted for the Spring 2014 term, which will run from 1/21/2014 – 5/17/2014.
Applications for Spring 2014 are due Friday November 22nd.
Fill out and submit the online form:
- Adult Online Application (external website)
Print and fill out the following forms. Sign and send these forms to the ED PEER office.
ED PEER Coordinator
Hennepin County Medical Center
701 Park Avenue, Mail Code R2
- Application checklist (PDF)
- Health screen Immunity Profile checklist (PDF)
- Health Screen ID page (PDF)
- Health Screen TB Testing (PDF)
- Health Screen Latex Sensitivity (PDF)
- Health Screen Scent Free (PDF)
- Letter of Understanding (PDF)
- Reference #1 (PDF)
- Reference #2 (PDF)
- Volunteer Background Check Form